Annapurna Interactive and Giant Squid have announced that their mythic adventure game The Pathless will release on Nintendo Switch next week.
This is the next game from the award-winning developer behind ABZÛ, in which you play as the Hunter – a master of archery who must travel to a mystical land to dispel a curse of darkness that has gripped the world.
The Hunter must forge a connection with an eagle companion to hunt corrupted spirits, being careful to not become the hunted. Players will explore misty forests full of secrets, solve puzzles in ancient ruins and be tested in epic battles.
The publisher has outlined the game’s key features as below:
- Archery and Falconry: Become the Hunter, a master archer who travels to a mystical island to dispel a curse of darkness that grips the world. Soar through the air and forge a connection with your eagle companion. Perform fluid acrobatics and execute awesome trick shots with a unique archery system that allows effortless shooting while moving at high speeds. The Godslayer won’t rest until the world is destroyed. Your bond with your eagle and the fate of the world hang in the balance.
- Explore An Open World: With no map to guide you, shape your own path through ancient lands filled with secrets. Traverse lush meadows and snowy tundras, ascend mountaintops and glide over misty forests as you soar to new heights on the wings of your eagle. Discover the dark history of the island as you solve puzzles in ancient ruins and unearth long-forgotten lore. Peer through the veil of reality as you use your spirit sight to uncover the secrets of the past and find your path through this pathless land.
- Free The Ancestral Spirits: Giant corrupted spirits stalk their domains. Hunt them down with your trusty bow and a little help from your eagle companion– but be cautious, or the Hunter could become the hunted. Engage in epic boss battles against the cursed beasts to restore light to the land. Dust yourself off and get ready to try again if you fail–The Pathless doesn’t punish you with permanent damage or death.
- Award-Winning Soundtrack: Immerse yourself in an interactive music system with one of the most expressive scores ever written by industry legend Austin Wintory. Featuring traditional Tuvan throat singing from the fabulous Alash Ensemble.
- Stunning Landscapes: Explore a beautiful and captivating world from the mind of Journey and ABZÛ visionary Matt Nava. In the ruins of an ancient civilization reclaimed by the wilds, verdant forests border massive cliff faces with snow-capped peaks. Navigate crumbling temples and towering spires in your quest to bring the light back to this cursed land.
- Storied Voice Acting: Set out to stop The Godslayer, voiced by Troy Baker (The Last of Us, Arkham Origins, Bioshock Infinite), as The Hunter, voiced by Laura Bailey (The Legend of Vox Machina, Last of Us 2, Gears of War).
The Pathless will release digitally on the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo Switch worldwide on 2nd February 2023. iam8bit and Skybound will produce a physical retail edition, with details promised “in the coming weeks.”