The developer has looked to bring “the best of Mystery Science Theater 3000-style comedy to digital party games,” challenging you with your friends and family to write the best jokes over some of the worst moments from “what can loosely be called cinema.”
With more than 250 movie clips and new game modes, Twitch integration means that you can play along with audience members who will be able to vote for their favourite witty one-liners in each round.
“As someone who frequently comes in last when playing games I’m very excited to be part of actually making a game,” enthuses RiffTrax’s Michael J. Nelson. “Creating this with Wide Right Interactive, I think, energized everyone involved because though it’s obviously very close to what we do, it’s a fresh new way to do it. And I think it’s a way to make a lot of people laugh who maybe wouldn’t have otherwise had a chance to experience RiffTrax.”
The publisher has outlined the game’s key features as below:
- Over 250 movie clips from RiffTrax classics such as “Rollergator”, “Attack Of The Supermonsters”, and “Plan 9 From Outer Space”;
- Featuring two exciting ways to play! Write your own riff and watch your comedy genius come to life via text-to-speech. Or leave it to the pros and choose from over 2,000 expertly crafted riffs from the RiffTrax team;
- Play head-to-head with up to 6 players using any internet-connected device as controller. An additional 12 audience members can also play along;
- Bring the party to your friends with support for remote games, cross-play, and voice chat;
- Streamers, get your entire chat in on the action with Twitch chat voting. Additional moderation, privacy, and content tools ensure your stream remains problem-free.
RiffTrax: The Game will release digitally on the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo Switch worldwide on 5th May 2022.