You will be tasked with making a quilt from patterned fabric scraps, smartly combining their colours and patterns to score points based on the complete design. You can also sew on buttons in an effort to attract cats, who have their own bedding patterns preferences.
“Quilts and Cats of Calico is a game created out of our love for board games and cats,” developers Marek Rutkowski and Monika Jarzqbek explain. “When I imagine the perfect resting space, I see a warm blanket and my purring cat, Darwin. I can then reach for my favourite book, and relax. Also for me, cats are synonymous with cosiness and warmth. We wanted to express these feelings in our adaptation of the board game Calico. We hope you’ll also feel this way.”
The developer has outlined the game’s key features, which include:
- Stepping beyond adaptation: In Quilts and Cats of Calico, based on the board game Calico, you will be immersed in a warm, cosy world full of cuddly cats. Here the quilt bends under the weight of their paws and loud purring can be heard. It’s a world full of patterns and designs awaiting the master quilt maker. We also have a few surprises for the Calico fans like variations of the rules and mechanics in the campaign play. In addition to the well-known gameplay scenarios, new ones await to be discovered.
- Quilt solo, with friends, or with strangers: Whether you want to quilt solo or prefer to compete with other players, Quilts and Cats of Calico will provide you with the corresponding gameplay mode. You will have cross-platform multiplayer at your disposal, during which you can invite friends or play ranked matches against random players. Online gameplay will include weekly challenges and player rankings. The more peaceful solo mode allows you to face AI of varying difficulty levels and is the perfect tool to hone your skills in a relaxed atmosphere.
- Embark on an adventure to fight the evil corp: In the game, you can also enjoy the story mode campaign. An extraordinary world inspired by the works of Studio Ghibli awaits you. Here cats can shatter even the most stone-cold hearts. Take on the role of an itinerant tailor who travels the war-stricken world and sews quilts. Stand up to a ruthless corporation that threatens your guild. Create quilts, perfect your craft and help those you meet on your journey. Don’t worry, you won’t be alone – along the way you’ll meet friends and, most importantly, cats whose help can prove invaluable…
- Spend quality time with your cats: At Quilts and Cats of Calico, cats are active during your games. They are not just interested in what patterns you use on your quilt. They actively respond to what you do and have their own characters. They will lazily observe the board, romp and run around, and sometimes fall into a blissful nap. You can interact with them during the game, pet them, and shoo them away when they get in the way.
- Extended customisation options: The game is full of cats, but there could always be more! In Quilts and Cats of Calico, you can create your own, making your game even more wholesome! You can give it a name, choose the colour of its fur and put on different outfits. If you wish, it will appear on the board during your gameplay. It will also be possible to change the background of the game and choose different quilt patterns. Pick what you like best!
- Beautiful, relaxing music: We asked Pawel Górniak, the composer responsible for the soundtrack to the digital version of Wingspan, to create the music for Quilts and Cats of Calico. Thanks to it, you will not only be able to deeply feel the atmosphere of the game but let yourself be carried away by blissful relaxation.
Quilts and Cats of Calico will release digitally on the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo Switch worldwide in Fall 2023.