Capcom bring classic arcade titles to Virtual Console
Capcom have announced that they are to release six of their classic arcade titles on the Wii’s Virtual Console download service this winter, within both North America and Europe. Oozing retro appeal, these old-school classics are set to challenge veteran gamers once more alongside introducing an entirely new audience to Capcom’s roots.
Full details regarding each of the titles on offer are as follows:
* 1942 – “This classic vertically-scrolling shoot ’em up is perhaps Capcom’s finest moment in the pre-Street Fighter era. Spawning a million clones and re-appearing throughout the history of gaming, 1942’s biplane action needs no introduction. And now, for the first time on the Wii, the original and best version.”
* Black Tiger – Fight your way through colorful, action-packed levels in this 1987 arcade classic. Explore huge, sprawling levels as a powerful barbarian, seeking to defeat menacing bosses. Plus, upgrade your character with one of the first inventory and power-up systems ever built.
* Commando: Wolf of the Battlefield – “Experience the Capcom arcade game that spawned a multitude of clones as the original Commando comes to your living room courtesy of the Virtual Console Arcade. Take control of Super Joe and shoot your way—in all eight directions—towards the enemy’s territory, using grenades to wreak havoc with enemy placements in this seminal genre creator.”
* EXED EXES – “A retro classic from Capcom’s arcade line-up in 1985, Exed Exes is a vertically-scrolling shooter that’s sure to bring back fond memories. Dodge bullets! Collect fruit! And go for high scores in the most furious sci-fi insectoid shoot ’em up ever made.”
* Ghosts ’n Goblins – “Ghosts ‘n Goblins is a classic game that packs a heavy punch (and lance). Experience the smash arcade hit from 1985 as you help Arthur defeat hordes of monsters in his attempt to rescue the princess. The first (and possibly only) game in which taking a hit reduces you to your underwear.”
* SONSON – “Experience the original adventures of the Monkey King in this action-packed side scrolling adventure. Rapidly switch between different levels of play to shoot dangerous enemies in the face! A truly original concept, this quirky, old skool arcade classic has been a rare find in the west since its arcade debut in 1984. Until now!”