Pitched as “a home-cooked retro throwback to classic cartoony RPGs full of fun characters and charming stories for children and adults alike,” it stars the flour golem Loaf who must rescue a mystical land after beings from another age cause havoc across it.
In a 2.5D illustrated setting you will have to overcome environmental puzzles while defeating enemies in turn-based and real-time hybrid battles, knowing what they are weak or resistant against to seize the advantage.
“With this extended look at Born of Bread‘s gameplay we wanted to showcase the world, characters, and tone of the game. That this is a lovable adventure taking an adorable cast on an unforgettable adventure,” explains WildArts lead designer and programmer Nicolas Lamarche.
“Of course, there’s also a variety of engaging mechanics in the game, with its combat system that merges turn-based tactics with real-time reflexive mini-games, while Loaf’s doughy form allows him to change shape to solve a variety of puzzles. We look forward to showing you more as Born of Bread launches later this summer!”
The publisher has outlined the game’s key features, or ingredients, which include:
- One flour golem who possesses a never-ending childlike wonder and a set of odd abilities
- A wonderful world ripe with mysteries
- An eclectic cast of fleshed-out characters
- A wacky storyline
- A pinch of light puzzles
- Turn-based battles with a dash of real-time minigames
- Bright, colorful 2.5D graphics
- Side-missions (add to taste)
- A captive audience granting you bonuses in battle
Born of Bread will release digitally on the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo Switch worldwide in Summer 2023.