Dangen Entertainment and Moonlight Games have announced that their retro-styled 2D action RPG Hunt The Night will release on Nintendo Switch.
You play as Vesper Blackbone, a member of the Stalkers who is in charge of finding the key that can reclaim a perpetual daytime cycle and banish the horrors of The Night that have repeatedly annihilated humanity.
Set in the condemned and decadent world of Medhram, Vesper must explore ruins and descend into harrowing dungeons while successfully completing Hunt missions against terrifying monstrosities.
She is joined in her efforts by her dark counterpart Umbra, who not only grants a teleportation skill that opens access to new areas but also becomes a driving point in the game’s story and narrative.
“Our goal is to offer indie games that have personality and something to say. We wanted to develop a unique and original lore, not only to bring an emotional effect on the player, but to provide a background directly related to the plot of Hunt the Night. Developing the narrative through the environment is very important for us,” the developer explains.
“I wanted to bring something different – like a mixture of classic gems such as The Legend of Zelda, Secret of Mana or Terranigma with dark fantasy hardcore games like Bloodborne or Dark Souls, adding a bit of Silent Hill on the narrative puzzles.”
The publisher has outlined the game’s key features, which include:
- Engage In Fast-Paced Dynamic Combat: Dash through enemies while you unleash your combos, use your weapons or destroy them with your dark powers. You can switch between melee and ranged attack in quick succession: slashing enemies with your sword and then dashing away to use your ranged weapons, avoiding enemy attacks.
- Face Intense Challenging Bosses: Endure the ultimate challenge as you fight the ancient horrors of the Night that have been annihilating humanity over and over in intense boss battles. Learn their weak points, attack patterns and survive through the different combat phases as the battle gets more challenging and extreme.
- Upgrade And Customise Vesper’s Build: Create your own build that will adapt not only to your prefered gameplay but also to particular bosses. Customize the upgrades of your arsenal and use the equipment that best suits your gameplay: Critical Damage, Life Steal, Poison, Close Combat, Firepower and more. Collect Sanguine vials, Crow Feathers, Moonstones and Noctilium to increase your stats and get ready to face the Night.
- Discover The Dark World of Medhram: Explore Medhram in a combination of action-adventure and dark fantasy lore. Survive huge dungeons full of traps, enemies, puzzles and challenges. Discover all kinds of locations, from ancient cathedrals and libraries of knowledge to lost kingdoms and devastated floating cities.
- Complete Hunts As A Member of the Stalkers: Accept a hunt at ‘Crow’s Nest’ and track down the dark beast, find where it hides and hunt the most powerful creatures of the Night. After every completed hunt you will get rewards that will increase your health and dark energy bar.
- Find Secondary Characters and Discover Their Stories: Meet new characters and discover their tragic past and stories in a world that is on the brink of the abyss.
- Play To Adapted and Immersive Music: Immersive and adapted music to every moment, boss and location, with the collaboration of Hiroki Kikuta, Secret of Mana composer.
Hunt The Night will release for PC on 13th April 2023, and digitally on the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo Switch worldwide “at a later date.”