This follow-up to 2019’s Arcade Spirits is set in an alternate timeline in the distant future year 20XX, where arcades never went away. As an aspiring gamer hungering for esports glory on the Fist of Discomfort 2 Pro Tour, you are seeking a partner to play with and will have the chance to join a team of players that hang out at Good Clean Fun.
The location combines a pizzeria, laundromat and arcade, and it is up to you to rally the team, and learn more about who they are and how best to support their dreams along the way. That journey will challenge you to defeat your rivals, conquer tournaments, build relationships and even uncover a strange arcade conspiracy.
The game’s recent trailer introduces the six new characters that you can befriend and romance:
- Domino: A shy individual who struggles to form real attachments. While he may sometimes have a bleak outlook on life he will do anything for his friends.
- Grace: A genius in her own right, she helped develop several pieces of innovative technology but prefers the life of an indie game developer.
- Jynx: Don’t let the icy stare scare you away. Jynx can come across as intimidating but in reality, she’s just pragmatic while showing a fierce loyalty to those close to her and their needs.
- Locksley: The thief with a heart of gold. As his namesake suggests, Locksley loves nothing more than helping those in need whilst attempting to bring down big corporations.
- Rhapsody: Knows everything there is to know about strategy. They are an expert in all things Fist of Discomfort related and a top-notch shoutcaster to top it off!
- Zapper: To say that she is passionate would be an understatement. Zapper is highly competitive and likes to do everything at 110%.
The publisher has outlined the game’s key features as below:
- Six new characters to befriend and romance, as well as a few return appearances by series favourites;
- Character art by Molly Nemecek and pulsating synthwave tunes by Greg Mirles;
- Measure your personality using Iris, your handy virtual assistant. You can be Kindly, Steady, Quirky, Gutsy, or Flexibly;
- Date anyone you like regardless of your pronouns, or focus entirely on building friendships.
Arcade Spirits: The New Challengers will release at retail and digitally on the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo Switch worldwide on 27th May 2022.