“It’s gut-wrenching to admit but #BlazingStrike’s release date has been moved back to Spring 2023,” the developer confirmed in a brief update on Twitter. “However this delay will help polish the game to ensure the best game experience possible (maybe with crossplay), so I really hope you guys stick around a little longer.”
Coming to Nintendo Switch, this 2D fighting game takes inspiration from arcade classics from “industry greats” like Capcom and SNK and will have a four-button system with six normal attacks – light, medium and heavy punches and kicks – as well as three defensive moves – block, guard and parry.
The Rush Trigger will allow fighters “to execute fast-paced attacks and movements,” but its use will slowly drain the Rush Meter which can send your character “into a temporary groggy state.” You will need to balance executing combos while managing the Rush Meter.
There will be three play modes – Story Mode, Arcade Mode and VS Mode – alongside training, sparring and online match via Persona AI, and online play powered by GGPO.
The publisher has outlined the game’s key features as below:
- Classic meets Modern: Blazing Strike’s rush system creates a new way to experience a classic 2D fighting game.
- A Colorful Cast: Select from 14 unique playable fighters and play against 3 hidden bosses.
- Full Story Mode: Dive into the world of Blazing Strike with extensive story cutscenes, dialogue, missions, and fights.
- Human vs AI: Train your Persona AI to mimic your fighting style. With trained Persona AI, players can fight a CPU that plays like them, or even have their AI fight online against others.
- Worldwide Proving Grounds: Play online matches against fighters from around the globe with zero network delay, thanks to GGPO.
Blazing Strike will release at retail and digitally on the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo Switch worldwide in 2023.