First revealed at The Game Awards 2021, the iconic blue blur is set to star in his “first-ever open-zone-inspired gaming experience” which has been led by producer Sachiko Kawamura and director Morio Kishimoto.
With the chance to explore the visually stunning, open-zone realm called Starfall Islands, you can “accelerate to new heights and experience the thrill of high-velocity open-zone freedom” – landscapes packed with dense forests, overflowing waterfalls, sizzling deserts and more.
SEGA had previously revealed that the game was originally planned for a 2021 release, but was delayed “to improve the quality of the title.”
The publisher has outlined the game’s key features as below:
- Experience All-New Open Zone Platforming: Race across five massive overworld islands brimming with dense forests, overflowing waterfalls, and sizzling desert landscapes, each with their own unique action-platforming challenges and hidden secrets to uncover.
- Unparalleled High-Speed Freedom: Adventure across the Starfall Islands and see what each has to offer at the speed only Sonic can deliver. Blaze a trail as you see fit and discover side quests, solve puzzles, scale enormous structures, go fishing, and encounter a friendly face or two along the way…
- Challenge Yourself In Cyber Space: Discover portals scattered across the island and venture into Cyber Space levels through portals scattered across the islands featuring signature 3D platforming at Sonic speeds, packed with challenges to put your skills to the test.
- Cyber-Powered Combat: The Starfall Islands are home to strange creatures Sonic has never encountered before. Use the all-new battle system and skill tree upgrades to fight strategically, combining moves such as dodges, parries, counters, combos, and the new Cyloop ability to take down mysterious foes and colossal titans.
- A New Adventure Full of Mystery and Intrigue: Become Sonic and journey to uncover the mysteries of the remains of an ancient civilization plagued by robotic hordes. With nothing but a handful of questions and a disembodied voice to guide you, set out to save your friends and the enigmatic inhabitants of the Starfall Islands from a colossal, mechanized threat.