Another game that has looked to take inspiration from the prose of H.P. Lovecraft, the developer has worked to combine “the creepiness of cosmic horror with a procedurally-generated map, branching narrative and a dash of resource management.”
After a dark cult abducts his twin sibling, Killian is left with no choice but to comply with their demands. He sets out to the mysterious island of Esha, a place forgotten by even the Gods themselves and where an unspeakable ritual is about to take place…
When a dark cult abducts his sibling, there’s nothing else Killian can do but to comply with their demands. In order to save his sister, he travels to the mysterious island of Esha – a place forgotten by even gods themselves and where an unspeakable ritual is about to take place…
The publisher has broken down the game’s features as below:
- Ever-changing island: Esha will always be a bit different; procedurally-generated map, randomized events and branching narrative will allow you to experience something new in each run;
- Survival through resource management: Explore different locations, gather things that might help you survive and be mindful of your own limits. Be careful, though, because every time you walk into an abandoned house, it might not be as abandoned as it would seem;
- A wide variety of monsters: Sometimes the evil will take particular forms, straight from your worst nightmares… Encounter unique monsters that will remind you of creatures from lovecraftian horrors and try to defend yourself from their attacks;
- Customizable characters: You may not be able to fight, but that doesn’t mean you’re defenceless. Find and change your outfits, craft and equip talismans, learn about enemies’ vulnerabilities – all in order to survive;
- Multiple endings: Will you find the way out, or will you succumb to the darkness of Esha? The choices you make throughout the game will lead you to one of the five main endings;
- Unique sensory experience: Feel the despair of the main characters and the desolation of Esha through the combination of atmospheric graphics, music and narrative, inspired by the works of Lovecraft and other works of the cosmic horror genre.
Theatre of Sorrows will release digitally on the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo Switch worldwide on Thursday 6th January 2022.